"The same way that great actors dream of one day performing at the ancient theater of Epidaurus or long distance runners aspire to participate in the classic Marathon run, dedicated olive oil producers dream of the opportunity to compete in the land where everything started." With this slogan the organisers of the first edition of the Athena International Olive Oil Competition welcome the first participants of the highly expected starting edition of this new olive oil contest which will take place under the shade of Akropolis, the location in which the Athena, the Godess of Wisdom gave life to the first olive tree.
The competition will take place on March 21-22 2016. Further to a report seen in Marketing Week Greece, some of the most famous judges from various countries have already accepted the invitation and will be part of this very important event. According to the concept of the competition samples entries from abroad must account for at least 30% of the total number of samples submitted and eventually exceed 50% of the submitted samples.
Moreover, producers that wish to participate should take into consideration the following criteria:
1) All submitted samples should contain Olive Oil produced during the year of the competition
2) All samples should be sent in their regular retail packaging
3) All samples must bear an official brand label as this is defined by the laws of the country in which they are bottled.
4) The biggest eligible size is 1lt.
5) Every brand sample participating in the contest must be from a single homogeneous batch of at least 500kg.
6) Flavored or infused Olive Oils will not be accepted
Interested producers could send their samples until February 28 2016.
The 1st Athena International Olive Oil Competition is organized by Vinetum Event Management. The competition is chaired by Dinos Stergidis, principal owner and CEO of Vinetum, and directed by Maria Katsouli, accredited olive oil connoisseur and first olive oil sommelier in Greece.
Further information can be found on the official website of the event: http://www.athenaoliveoil.gr/en/